Everyone has them, let’s make them better.
- Separate items into two groups
- Immediate = Take action now
- Passive = Not time sensitive
- Focus on “Immediate” items first
- These are items that move the needle
- Push towards the end goal
Work through problems backward.
- Avoid rather than achieve
- Most problems are caused by something we are already doing, not something we need to do
For example, most people wonder, “How do I lose weight?” Inversion Thinkers wonder, “What am I doing to not lose weight?”
Decrease Activation Energy
The energy required to start = Probability of starting.
- Walk before you run
- Stuck on a large complex task?
- Break it down into several small individual steps
- Make the first step an easy one
- The point here is to get the ball rolling
Many think of this as a time-saver, it’s not.
- Try “batching” instead
- Group single similar items together
- Complete them one by one
This is far more productive, and requires less energy, than switching between multiple tasks on differing topics
Each topline item on your list needs a “next action.”
- If you don’t have these, add them
- The next step to move the project forward
-Create A Budget
Decide the desired outcome first.
- Defining the goal reduces the chance of procrastination
- Ask yourself, what does perfect execution look like
- Knowing what you stand to lose by not completing a task is hyper-motivating
2 Minute Rule
Will the task take < 2 minutes?
If yes, do it now.
- Do Not: Wait
- Do Not: Overthink It
- Do Not: Add it to your list
- Do: Execute
Everyone knows this one, let’s make it simple.
- Knowing where to start is half the battle
- Rank projects in terms of effort vs results
- Where are you getting the most “bang for your buck?”
The 5 C’s
- Clarity: Define what needs to be done
- Capacity: What will it take to do it?
- Capability: Do we have the resources?
- Commitment: Are you “all-in?”
- Collaboration: Where do you need help?
Effort without reward is transient.
- Constant incentives = constant action
- Recognize large and small achievements
- Rewards help to create a productive flywheel