Is PAN-Aadhar linking mandatory?
31st March 2019 is the last date for linking PAN card with Aadhaar. According to Section 139AA, in case of failure to intimate the Aadhaar number, the permanent account number allotted to the person shall be deemed to be invalid. Last year, Income Tax Department had either closed or put 11.44 lakh PAN cards in the inactive category.
After the deadline of March 31, this may happen to your PAN card as well if you fail to link it with Aadhaar. If your PAN is not linked to Aadhaar before the end of deadline, you may still be able to file online ITR but your tax refund will get stuck and the PAN card will become invalid.
Is it mandatory to link Aadhaar with PAN for students?
There is no exemption on age. Central Board of Direct Taxation(CBDT) has notified that Section 139AA of the Income Tax Act is not applicable to the following individuals:
(i) Those categorized as Non-resident Indians as per the Income Tax Laws
(ii) Not a citizen of India
(iii) Is of age 80 years or more at any time during the tax year
(iv) Residents of the states of Assam, Meghalaya and Jammu and Kashmir
How to link Aadhaar with PAN without logging in to the Income Tax portal?
1. Go to the Income Tax Login portal.
2. Click on the link ‘Link Aadhaar’ on the left portion under Quick Links.
Now you should be able to see the screen above:
3. Enter your PAN number followed by the Aadhaar number in the appropriate boxes. In case the UIDAI does not have any data against your identity save for the date of birth, tick the next box. Enter your name as it appears on your Aadhaar card.
4. Now key in the code exactly as it appears on your screen.
5. You may choose to use an OTP delivered to your Aadhaar registered smartphone number in the event you are visually handicapped.
6. Click on Link Aadhaar.
If all goes well, you will see a message that says, “Aadhaar-PAN linking is completed successfully”.
How can I check whether my pan is linked with Aadhaar?
1. Visit this link
2. Enter PAN and Aadhaar Number
3. Click on ‘View Link Aadhaar Status’
4. The status of the linking is displayed in the next screen
Is it necessary to link Aadhaar with PAN card for non taxpayers?
Yes. Anyone who has both PAN card and Aadhaar must link both as per notified by section 139AA. This means that a large number of people – senior citizens, students, entry-level workforce, housewives etc. who have PAN and Aadhaar both, but don’t file returns will have to link the two numbers.